Monday, April 29, 2013

Choosing the major in the university



All of us think about his\her major in the university but the majorities are not guided. If I begin from my experience, I think that teachers in high school did not guide me to choose the correct one, and also I were not conscious enough to think that it is the main step in our life but I choose a major following some criteria such as the distance from the university to my home , forgetting the accordance between the major and what I like to do or to study, whether it is practical in Lebanon or not , can I find a job  .Choosing a major for the university is hard work and it is essential to be right and suitable. Because if you study a major that it is not what you like or what your abilities, potentials and capabilities, later on in the labor market you will fail. To avoid such result, Ministry of education should put a clear regulation about choosing the major in the university level. All university should follow entrance exams for their students, each one in her\his correct major, and also don’t take the result of official exams the only indicator about student performance because it is not fair to assess students based on one exam, but also university should take in consideration student’s performance during the year.  Also, teachers in high school should play the major role in guiding student by  establishing  educational and awareness sessions about universities in Lebanon, all the major and the description of each one. Choosing the major in the university level is an essential part of high school student’s life’s , it should be guided and directed by all the educational agencies . 


2 comments:

  1. this is an amazing post, we all passed through this. there is a complete absence of guidnace in lebanon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is a very important topic Nadine, we need guidance and support when we decide what major we want to study. for sure it is necessary to study something we like but the variety of domains and majors requires to be aware and to know a clear idea about the major and its curriculum because many students get choked and may fail after they start learning and they discover they choose the wrong major.

    ReplyDelete